Working Girl How-To: How to Navigate Being a Power Couple

Working Girl How-To: How to Navigate Being a Power Couple
Let’s face it – when working a fast-paced, full-time job, upholding your social life and tending to your freelance gigs or side passions, dating can fall far to the wayside. Or at least for me it sure did, during those developmental years of my career. Looking back, I’m so grateful that I was single throughout college and during the summer of my internship. Those years were full of focus for me – I figured out what industry I saw myself flourishing in, I grew as a leader, That Working Girl was launched, and I had ample time to focus on growing as a young professional.

However, the tables turned in 2013 when I met my match! The only catch? He’s just as career-driven, focused and ambitious as I am. A total winner in my eyes, yet we’ve learned that being mutually ambitious can pose a few hurdles in a relationship, and we’ve experience challenges just like any other couple does.

Are you one half of driven, career-oriented power couple? Read on for three tips to keeping your relationship healthy and balanced, even during the craziest of weeks.

Communicate, communicate and communicate more.
Communication comes naturally to me – or at least I like to think it does. One way that I’ve learned to maintain the good times and happiness in my relationship during the work week is to simply let my boyfriend know that I’m interested in hearing how his workday is, what accomplishments he’s looking forward to achieving during the week, and if he has any post-work plans. Even during a crazy workday, a “checking in on you” text can go a long way and fills in the gap, especially if you live apart like we do.

Set boundaries.
One rule that I’ve currently instated is that I sincerely make an effort to not spend time on emails during the weekend. I check my work email twice over the weekend (once in the morning on Saturday and Sunday), and the same goes for my personal email. If there isn’t a work emergency to tend to (hint: there has never been one), I close my laptop and intentionally focus on spending time with Paul and not discussing work. I’d be lying if work didn’t pop up into discussion over dinner from time to time – it’s important to us and we learn a lot about each other by sharing our work experiences. However, we don’t let it dominate our conversation – I like to stick to the 80/20 rule of keeping 80% of the conversation non-work related and the other 20% industry-related.

Work together.
This point may seem completely contradictory to my last, but hear me out – sometimes, no matter how hard you try, you might have to log in over the weekend to get work done. Rather than grumbling about it or ignoring each other, we work together and treat it as a date! One of my favorite mornings was when we walked to a local coffee shop, propped open our laptops and got work done with coffee, of course. It was such a relief getting all of the work cleared from our plates so that we could enjoy the rest of our weekend.

How do you balance your relationship and your career, especially if you and your significant other are both career-driven? Leave your thoughts in a comment below or tweet us at @HeyWorkingGirl!

One thought on “Working Girl How-To: How to Navigate Being a Power Couple

  1. Pingback: How to Meet Interesting New Friends After College |

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s